Friday, November 24, 2006

Some Wedding Kwentos

It's been almost a month already since our wedding day. There's no single day when I hadnt thought of our special day with our family and friends. I want to preserve the memories and the emotions and I figured might as well write more about it.

Our wedding was set on Oct 29, 2006, 3pm. It was a Sunday. Both sweeps and I came from Arizona and had to fly back to the Phils 2 weeks before the wedding. We reached the Phils the night of Oct 15. Unlike any other couples who had some bonding time with their suppliers waaay before their wedding day, we didnt have that luxury of time.

We met most of our suppliers the first time Oct 18.

I tried my dress for the first & last time before the wedding Oct 16.

We had our prenuptial shoot Oct 19.

I had my trial make-up sessions done a week before the wedding.

Not good... not good... major stress!!!

Now the story...

Oct 28, 2006. I got up early since I still need to work on the seating arrangement needed by ms Tina (our coordinator's assistant) in the morning that day. Everyone's been super busy running around in our house as well since we are scheduled for our final fitting that day and pick up the barongs and the dresses. I was not panicking with my dress, in fact, I'm more stressed out with my pink eye more than anything else. We were supposed to have gone to Ole for final fitting days ago but we're too busy with the last minute preps we got to do (well, me especially)... Sweeps' sched was not as bad as mine. Of course, I had to take care of the girly stuff, you know... like heading off for manicure, pedicure, facial here and there and spa galore. Now I'm not sure if that going through my supposed to be relaxation-before-the-big-day-beauty-touchups made me stressed out more or not. Ha!

Can you imagine how things were getting super crazy the day before the wedding? Well, I got the stupid pink eye (left eye) 2 days before the wedding... helloooo? duuuhhh?! I wouldn't mind if it was like a week or so, at least I would have time to fix it. But daaannggg... of all the times to pick-up the stupid thing - 2 days.. as in 2 days before my wedding!!!! Plus I haven't tried my dress, plus the gifts we had for our ninongs/ninangs & entourage that we shipped from Arizona like 2 months ago, only reached the Phils that week. It was a favor I asked my friend since he had free shipping to the Phils taken cared by our company when he was here in AZ. It usually takes a month at the most for these kinda shipments to go through customs etc. But for some reason, his took 2 months!!! Take note, this was a day before our wedding. I got a call from him saying that he finally got my shipment and that we can pick them up from his house anytime today. Arggghh!!!!! Too much stuff to think of... and worry about!!!

And oh, that same afternoon, we're scheduled to have dinner with our entourage and 2 of our principal sponsors in Tagaytay... and we had to check-in to Canyonwoods as well... and we had to meet up with the AE from Canyonwoods. Also, since my stupid pink eye was really annoying, my mom scheduled an appointment with the eye doctor... that same afternoon. Can you imagine the horror of this stressful day

I think one thing I've learned through all these is never ever ever schedule any social event the day before the wedding. That's nuts!!!!!! I'm banging my head on the wall right now. How stupid can I be for doing all these last minute! Arggghh!!!!

Anyhoo, I still tried my best not to stress out retain my composure. All I was thinking was everything's going to be ok. I can miss the dress fitting, the dinner get together or what nots but there's no way I am missing my doctor's appointment. I will never ever ever walk down the aisle with a stupid pink eye.. never!!!! I keep on telling sweeps that I would be the ugliest bride ever with this pink-eye (with matching iyak and hikbi pa yan, grabs, I never felt so sorry for myself in my entire life until that moment). Good thing he always uplifts my confidence... he said, "To me you'd still be the prettiest bride ever". Kahit bola, sige na nga :o)

3pm... me & my mom were still in the clinic. It takes an hr from our place to drive to Antonio's for dinner scheduled 5:30pm. Crazy crazy crazy! The doctor gave me 2 eye drops, 1 is to be used every 4 hrs (but clears up my eye super fast!) and the other one every so often. Of course, I overused the one that clears my eye lightning fast noh! Ha! The doctor really felt sorry for me. Yeah, me too.... after almost a yr of preparations just to make sure things would be ok during the wedding and all I get is some viral eye infection. BUMMER!

Fast forward, we got to Antonio's around 6pm-ish. Good thing our ninong & ninang were not there yet. The main purpose of the dinner is to formally introduce John & my parents to my Tito Larry & Tita Baby who I asked to be one of our PS on our wedding. This couple is sooo dear to me, they were like parents to me when I was in California. Good thing they are really scheduled to go back to the Phils last Oct for a short vacation so when I asked them to be one of our PS', they were ever happy to be there.

After the dinner, we all went to Canyonwoods, checked-in and by the time we're ready to go to bed, it's almost 11pm-ish already

I stayed with my MOH & one of my bridesmaids in one of the suites while in the other room adjacent to ours, sweeps, my brother and his friend stayed. My mom, dad, our HMUA stayed on another casitas.

I havent separated the stuff that I need to turn over to ms Kutchie so we had to do it that same night. Be brought boxes for Reception stuff, Church stuff, Preps stuff. Had them labeled so ms Kutchie's team would know which is which.

1am-ish, my girls are already half asleep but we can still hear the guys on the other room talking. Sheeezzzz... finally, after some kulits from me, they slept na rin.

Oct 29, 2006. I got up around 7am-ish. Immediately I had to go to the bathroom to check if my left eye got better with all the drops I put on it the night before. Dang it! It's still pinkish-red! It's not sore or anything, it's just dang red! I was gonna cry and I even thought of not showing up or cancelling the wedding... afterall, I'd be the ugliest bride to ever walk down the aisle anyways with my pink eye. I hate myself and I really didnt feel like going out there so everyone could see. I was super humiliated and my self esteem are just down there at the pits, rock bottom low. Sigh!

Then I prayed really really hard... I asked for strength to get through this. I've done what I could possibly do, so I guess I'd just have to carry on and go with whatever happens. I know the good Lord is with me... with us... everything would be alright.

Surprisingly, after lifting everything to the Heavens, my mood was in all time high! I didnt feel any amount of stress at all. I was taking my own sweet time in everything I do, before I realize it, it's almost 9am. Ms Kutchie, our coordinator, text'd me saying they're already downstairs and they're going to be at my room in a bit. Whoah! I havent even done taken my bath! Hahaha! My sister and my bridesmaid are both taking their own sweet time too! Then came their HMUA... early birds Reggie David and company!

My mom had her makeup done in their suite. Me and my mom had a different HMUA and he checked in to the hotel with us the day before. So he started working on my mom's makeup before coming over to our suite to do mine :o)

A few minutes later my HMUA came to our suite and started making me feel like a real bride! Haha! So make-up galore na. Then people actually started showing up, Ole Morabe, our couturier came by with my dress and the body form, with his assistant, of course! I sooo love my dress!!! Would you believe it's the first time I'm actually seeing the full dress? The first I've ever tried it on was when the beadings weren't complete yet, 2 weeks before our wedding. Ole is a trusted friend of our family so we never had any doubts with him. I was scheduled for my final fitting the day before our wedding but since I had to go to the doctor, I ended up not seeing my dress until the day of our wedding itself! But still, I love my dress, it's really simple and the beadings are elegantly crafted with swarovskis and such.

Bob Nicolas and his team came next, I'm surprised I never got conscious in front of the cameras. I guess a lot of it comes with the fact that these guys made me feel super comfy. I asked them if my left eye was obviously red on the camera and if they could avoid it. They keep on telling me that I still look pretty (o dibs, super bola galore, pero sige, di ko na contra as I needed that at that moment talga before I cry knowing how bad my left eye could register on the cams)

Then came the flowers. OMG... all the flowers are amazing. I'm not a flower person... trust me, but I can spot which flowers are ok and just so-so. Coming from Ole's mouth - yeah.. they are FABULOUS! I love what Karen & April did on my bouquet... and the basket for my little girls... whoah!! They're just awesome!!!

Last to come was Fol's team, although their call time was 12nn-ish pa naman. Just in time, I'm done na with my makeup. I didnt want pics to be taken while I was being made up as well, so their timing is just right. Then the fun begins!!! They started to take some pics already and I had to pose... a lot!!! They direct what angle, what pose, etc etc. Good thing I had some good practice when we had our prenups with Paul Vincent & Ivy in EK. At least I was a bit at ease in front of the cameras. But of course, at the back of my mind I always get concious of my pink-eye... oh well...

Time flew so fast, for some reason, I wasn't hungry... never felt hungry at all. One of ms Kutchie's girls gave me some food but didn't get to eat that much.

Then finally, it's time to wear my dress... everyone had to go out of course... Ole, his assistant & ms Kutchie's assistant were there to dress me up. Ha, here's the funny part... since I didnt get to fit my dress before our wedding, heheee... Ole needed some time to adjust the dress. It just didnt want to zip up! Dang!! I think I gained some weight. It's alright, he's good at it and he quickly did the adjustment. He stressed out on that part more than I did. Ha! :o)

Of course after everything is settled, Fol, Bob & their respective teams did their thing and before we know it, it's 2pm already and we had to head to Caleruega na.

It was drizzling a bit, so I already know I wouldnt be able to walk by the dramatic walkway to the Caleruega chapel... oh well... what can I do?

We hit the road after a few more pictures... I was with my mom & dad inside the bridal car. The funny thing is we got lost finding our way out canyonwoods. The driver didnt know where to go. We didnt either since we got there late the night before, it was blur to us how we got there. Shoot. But we managed to go out. I can't remember but yep, we did. Thank goodness!

When we got in front of the church, there's a lot of cars parked all over since our guests had been waiting already. We actually didnt know where we're going to park. My mom was already freaking out. No cellphone signal so Ms Kutchie can't get hold of us. So, kinda confusing since there's 2 entrance to the church. All my mom knows is that she got an instruction from ms Kuchie that if it rains, we're going to just walk by the side entrance. Less drama, another bummer!

Anyhoo, one of the coords came by the car and asked me to wait inside until she get a go signal from ms Kutchie. After waiting, she escorted me (as well as our 2 drivers) so I had 3 umbrellas when I was walking up the stairs. Bob Nicolas' AVP captured that :o)

Saw my mom & my dad marched their way in. They closed the door so Ole's assistant took care of my train, 1 of our drivers was still holding the umbrella to protect me from the rain. So when you watch the video you can see that, unlike all the brides that I know, their entrance is a bit dramatic than mine since every Dick & Harry's all over my back. It's alright though.

When I heard 3rd Avenue sang "The Rest of My Life" ayan, goosebumps galore na. I forgot how I should hold my bouquet, the correct posture, etc. I forgot everything. All I remembered was that sweeps was there in front of the altar as I walk and we locked eyes with each other. I didnt even cry, didnt even look at the guests, didnt even look at my parents, didnt even get to see how the aisle decorations were like, etc etc. That moment was all about me and sweeps. It was just a short walk... really... but it seemed like it's eternity for me. I love how the video captured sweeps reactions when he saw me... classic!

One of the highlights of the ceremony was Fr Oly, who officiated our wedding, sang a surprise song for us. It was a tagalog song entitled "Kailangan Kita". It was sooo sweet of him to sing for us. Since it's Tagalog, I had to translate it while he was singing it so John knows what he is singing about. Another goosebumps galore moment.

Fast forward to the Reception. My ever dear HMUA (Romulo Teodoro, we call him Mulan) had to do some retouch after the ceremony, then another one before the reception started. Ole, Mulan & ms Kutchie's assistant were with me to remove my dress' sleeves & train before we enter the banquet hall. Of course, more pictures were taken before dinner started. Good thing that we had pritchon and some snacks for the guests during cocktails so we're not worried that people would get hungry while waiting for us.

The entourage were all queued up for the introduction. I heard Melissa, our emcee, calling their names already. Sadly, I wasnt paying that much attention as to what music was being played. Then we heard Smashmouth's "All Star" and it as our turn to go. Ha, funny pa nga kasi we didnt know where to go, naligaw pa kami ni sweeps. But, it's alright.. hehehee! Not too obvious naman (I think)

Then Melissa asked us to to in front as she introduced us. Confettis are all over and it was one of the fun moments at the reception.

The program started with the cake-cutting, nice the background music, "Sugar" by the Archies. Heee! So as you can see, we're not too loveydovey when it comes to the choice of music. It's one thing our guests are raving about, they were saying that the choice of music we had are very unconventional and refreshingly upbeat and cool :o) That's good to know... hehehe! At that time, bubbles where blown all over for additional effect. Kids of course, went gaga... hahaha!

One of the highlights that I also like was the married couples games. Melissa called up 5 pairs from the list I gave ms Kuchie. The mechanic of the game is that the guys would be given 1 lipstick that they can use to color their repective wives lips and in turn, the wives would be putting as much kissmarks to their hubbies. I can't remember where I read this game but it was my idea... and sure enough it was hilarious!! Whoever has the most kiss marks win a prize. Sweeps & I had to count the number of kissmarks for every couple. We gave out this huge KISS chocolate (The World's Biggest Kiss Chocolate) to the winning couple. My highschool friends came out as that game's winners! Funny talga!

During the taking off of the garter, here's one of our palpaks ni sweeps. He was supposed to pretend that he was looking for the garter under my skirt but in reality, we already planned that it should come out from his underpants. Ha! So dapat instead of him taking the garter from me, I would be getting the garter from his boxers. But... hahah, we executed it really bad that I felt we both looked like idiots. Hahahha! Kasi sweeps just took the garter from his underpants. Then he didnt ask me to take it myself from him. He should be putting my hand under his pants (pero syemps dapat sa may belt lang) but both of us forgot what we needed to do. Get the picture? Oh well, this is one of the things that we just laugh about whenever we think of it :o) I would nobody from the guests would remember anyways... hahaha!

Another blooper that I can recall was after the Thank you to our parents. After the tribute video was played, we never even got down from where we were sitting and hug & kiss them. Darn! I dont know, we were completely not ourselves that time. See, napaka emotionless ko naman. That's really one thing that I regret.

I also cannot remember if I even hugged or kissed my dad after we had our father-daughter dance. Shoot. Lousy lousy lousy me... and what was I thinking when I agreed having "Butterfly Kisses" as our father-daughter dance? I didnt like that song... I forgot to inform 3rd avenue which song I like them to sing. On top of that, how can I not think of having John and my mom to dance together at the same time my dad's dancing with me????!!! Tell me how can I miss this small but uber important detail???!!! I also forgot to to inform Bob Nicolas to do some livefeed while me & my dad were dancing :o( I thought about all these waaaayyy before but for some reason I forgot to mention them. I think partly because I didnt have any checklist for myself.

During the couples speech, again, we were not ready. We didnt prepare any long touching speech. Ours was more direct 1-min thank you's to everyone who came. Good thing sweeps tried to speak some Tagalog words he knew, so it kinda gave some needed ooommpphh to our speeches.

On the flipside, we were supposed to hire a dance instructor to open the floor for dancing after the program. However, my sweeps, insisted that he'd do it himself. So what we did was ms Kuchie put some ribbons underneath the guests chairs beforehand. Melissa asked the guests to look for these ribbons since they're getting a price (we got them those huge toblerones for those who got the ribbons). I think there were 15 ribbons, I can't remember. Melissa asked those who got them to please go to the stage to claim their price. Once everyone was there, the catch is they will have to do some line dancing first. So here comes my husband (who loves dancing and is a pretty good dancer himself), lead the pack and when everyone got the hang of it, confettis were shot all over to indicate that it's PARTY TIME!!!! It was such a blast! Our friends & suppliers emailed me after saying that they didnt realize that sweeps is such a good dancer (and I suck since I was totally lost looking like an idiot following the steps) Heee!

Overall, it was a fun evening for us. The party didnt last that long since it was a Sunday and a lot of our guests had to leave since the next day is a work day.

We had to fly to Bohol early the day after. Such a hectic sched for us. No time to mingle with friends and families after the wedding na. Then we came back from Bohol 2 days before we flew to Hawaii. So those 2 days were spent with our families na.

Hmmm, what else am I forgetting. I guess that's about it. So there, I'm done with my wedding kwentos finally.

If I had to summarize my learnings that day, it would be the following:

1) No matter how much you wanted things to happen your way during your wedding, there are just things that are beyond your control. So either you frown and be sorry for the rest of your life, or just let go of it and enjoy the moment. Afterall, it's your wedding and what's important is you're happy with your husband and families with you.

2) Dont forget to make your own vows. Yep... we did :o( We're too busy with all the other things and we forgot to incorporate our own wedding vows in the misallette. This is really really sad.

3) Dont forget the details that would make your wedding extra special like taking sometime to write your thank you speeches to everyone who were there on your wedding day. Include your suppliers as well since they've also worked hard for your dream wedding. Some token of appreciation is good.

4) Checklist, checklist, checklist! Make a list of the items you want to discuss to your suppliers so you wouldn't have to missout anything unlike what I did.

5) Health is wealth. So never never get sick on your wedding day. You cannot control a lot of things but major causes of getting sick is being overly stressed out. I had my own share of the horror story of having a pink eye.. so never get too stressed out with little things, I tell you, it's not worth it!

6) There's no such thing as early planning. Dont do tomorrow what you can do today. I did a lot of procrastinating on my seating arrangements.. and other stuff too. They added stress the day before the wedding.

7) Make sure you ask your photographer to take some pictures even of the tiniest detail in your wedding. We had different flower arrangements per table and we didnt get to see how they look. Good thing some of our friends sent us some pics so we saw some of them. This is where backup photographers would come in handy since their job is to take pics of those things you main photographer might miss-out.

8) Dont forget to introduce your husband to your friends/families who haven't met him yet. Again, I dont know what I was thinking but now that I realized it, I totally forgot to formally introduce sweeps to my highschool friends and my former officemates. Oh well.

9) Make sure you secure/keep copies of the misal & wedding favors for yourself. We didnt get to keep some for ourselves :o(

10) Be happy, our job is to look radiant and pretty during our special day. Afterall, this is not an everyday event. For once, we get to be celebrities even for just a day... or two :o)

That's all folks!! Hope I was able to share everything that could be helpful in somebody else's wedding :o)

Suppliers ratings are still on the drawing board... heeee!



Desenvolvido por EMPORIUM DIGITAL